The Edible Garden
- This month keep making successional sowings of summer veges such as lettuce, beans, beetroot to keep a continuous supply over summer.
- Give established vege plants a side dressing of general fertilser to keep growth active - remember to water well after feeding plants.
- Plant Zucchini, Capsicum, Cucumber, Chillies, Egg plant and Tomatoes.
- Spray as necessary with Yates Mavrik to keep insect pests at bay while keeping bees safe.
- Plant Basil and tomatoes together - they are good companion plants.
- Main crop potatoes like Rua and Agria can be planted now.
- Keep feeding tomatoes regularly with Tui Tomato food.
- Dust cabbage and cauliflower plants with Yates Success Naturalyte to control white butterfly caterpillar.
The Flower Garden
- Plant Fuchsias in shady parts of the garden that get dappled sunlight. They make a colourful summer display. Use lots of compost to get plants off to a good start.
- Fill pots and containers and hanging baskets with geraniums, cape daisies, impatiens, petunias, and Calibrochoa, for bright, colourful summer displays.
- Continue planting annual summer flowers such as cosmos, marigold, lobelia, petunias, impatiens, alyssum and portulaca.
- Feed roses with Rose Food and spray with Yates Supershield to control insects and diseases.
- Water pots and hanging baskets daily. Feed weekly with Miracle Gro.
- Re-pot orchids that have finished flowering.